The decision to undergo a facial feminization surgery (FFS) can be a huge step for some transgender women. Often the face does not reflect our true gender identity, which can lead to feelings of dysphoria, anxiety, and depression. Facial feminization surgery is a collection of techniques aimed at altering the masculine features of the face using surgical procedures. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to FFS; instead, there are many different procedures that can be tailored to meet your individual needs. In this article, we will discuss different approaches to facial feminization surgery
It is important to meet with your surgeon to discuss your goals and create a customized surgical plan that is unique to you. Your surgeon may suggest a combination of procedures to address the areas of your face that you are most concerned about. Below are different approaches that are commonly used in FFS:
- Hairline lowering surgery: This technique is used to create a more feminine hairline by moving the hairline forward. During this procedure, the surgeon will make an incision at the hairline, remove a small portion of the scalp, and then close the incision with sutures.
- Brow bone reduction: This procedure is used to reduce the prominence of the brow ridge, creating a more feminine and rounded forehead. The surgeon will make an incision above the eyebrows and then use a surgical instrument to carefully shave down the bone.
- Rhinoplasty: Changing the shape and size of the nose can be a significant part of facial feminization surgery. The nose can be made less prominent or more delicate by reducing the size of the nose, increasing the tip projection, and changing the angle between the nose and upper lip.
- Chin/jaw contouring: This technique involves reshaping the jaw and chin to create a softer, more feminine appearance. This can be done by either reducing the size of the chin by removing bone or adding filler, or by contouring the jawline with surgical instruments.
- Lip lift: By lifting the upper lip, the overall appearance of the face can be changed, creating a more youthful and feminine look. During this procedure, the surgeon will make an incision under the nose and remove a small portion of skin to lift the lip.
Facial feminization surgery can have a transformative impact on a transgender woman’s life. It is important to work with a highly skilled and experienced surgeon who can provide results that are both beautiful and natural-looking. There are a variety of different techniques that can be used to create a more feminine facial appearance, and your surgeon will recommend a customized surgical plan based on your individual needs. Whether you choose one procedure or a combination of them, FFS can help you feel more fully aligned with your gender identity and improve your self-confidence.